26 October 2010

New Fangled Trend

There is this new fangled trend nowadays to call people names that they really aren't and I just don't understand it.  I have tried to be avant garde and hip to the scene, as they say (or at least they say that in my head) but I just can't do it any longer.

Please note, I mean no offense by this post but yet again, I am sure someone will get their knickers in a twist over it.  I'm just stating my position, it's early and my coffee is just now kicking in - so I'm going to 'go there'.  Are y'all ready?

Our Wedding Day
If you aren't married, he isn't your husband and she isn't your wife... using those titles is simply a lie.  There.  I said it.  I don't really care what the situation is, the bottom line is that unless you have gone through the proper steps and followed the rules, you can't honestly use the title.  You aren't his Mrs and he isn't your Mr... you're simple two people who are playing house and lying to the universe.

There are a ton of people who wander around claiming to have joined together in holy matrimony - even to the extent of wearing rings - but who haven't done a thing in reality.  The reality is that they live together.  They like each other a whole lot.  The excuse is that they don't need a piece of paper to solidify their love for one another.  In their eyes, they're married.  All of that is well and good - but you still aren't married.  If one of you has a horrific accident, the other is screwed.  Sure, they may know all of your wishes but they have no power to execute them.  It's an awful example but it is the truth - just one of many.

So I am just curious - if you love one another so much that you are claiming to be committed to them for all of eternity then why not actually do it?  If that little piece of paper means nothing to you then why not just write the check and get one?  No one is asking you to frame it and hanging it over the mantel.  No one says that you have to have some big lavish ceremony.. I'm just saying that if you are going to claim the title, why not take the appropriate steps to earn it?

I hold my title as wife very dear to my heart.  I waited for many years to find the perfect one for me because marriage is sacred... to me.  I didn't want to be a live in girlfriend or a 'baby mama' as the phrase is turned today.  I wanted to be a wife... and my husband loves, respects and honors me enough to want the same thing.  Pokey is proud to call me his wife and I am equally proud to call him my husband.  We couldn't wait to tell the world we were married - because it is a symbol of our undying love and commitment to one another.  It is legal.  It is binding.

I am his and he is mine... and it isn't just words or playacting.. it's the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...