21 February 2011

Chances are if you're reading this book, you're fat.

That would be the first sentence in the first chapter of  "Big Girl Knits" by Jillian Moreno and Amy R. Singer.  I had been interested in reading this pattern book for some time now and was initially delighted to find it at my local library.  The reason behind my giddiness is simple - it is very difficult for me to find a pattern that fits my shape well.  Generally the bust area is too small, the arms are too tight and the item ends up clingy where it isn't flattering.  I thought this book was an answer to a prayer ~ in reality, it was just insulting beyond words.

It's disappointing too because their section on measuring and how they break the patterns down by the 3Bs (boobs, belly and butt) are actually very insightful and very flattering.  Most of their patterns are ones that I would honestly make or recommend to others.  They created lounge pants with the perfect fit for crying out loud!  I just can't believe two women would write such hurtful things. 

A book written for a particular segment of the female populous doesn't need to say such things ~ we hear it enough in the real world.  Out of the mouths of babes or just plain mean adults, constant comments regarding our non-waif appearance are basically a daily occurrence.  It never ceases to amaze me how some feel that they have the right to make such comments in the first place.  As if I am unaware of my shape and how it looks nothing like Kate Moss or Gisele Bundchen.  Let's not forget the reminder every time I go to try on an article of clothing at a department store and how the sizing is never the same.  My closet ranges from size 14 to size 20.  My husband wears a 33 and all his clothes are a 33... so why can't all my clothes be the same number?  A number, which by the way, changes every year but not due to my fluctuating weight but to the manufacturers decreasing measurement qualification.  To prove this point, Marilyn Monroe wore a size 8 but her size 8 is today's size 16... would you classify her as 'fat'?  I didn't think so.

In a society such as ours, you would think that we would be able to celebrate the positives in one another instead of exploiting the negatives.  Did they believe these jabs to be funny?  Who told them peppering their books with slams about a woman's figure would be a great selling point?

So Ms. Moreno and Ms. Singer, I will not be spending my $30 on your insulting book.  I prefer purchases to have a more uplifting effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...