08 March 2018

Almost, but not quite

In an effort to simplify my life lately, I have started doing a few things that I don't usually do. I delegate. I lower my standards for the help that is being given because they are helping and not everything has to be done my way in order to get done. I even tried out online grocery shopping with a big box store. That was an experience.

I planned my menu for the week, went through my pantry, and made my list accordingly. Then, I downloaded the app and 'went shopping'. That part was wonderful! No people. No awkwardness. No hunting for things. Just scroll and click. Everything I wanted was there and placed neatly in my virtual cart. I got to choose the pick up time and date too! Added bonus, it was free - no hidden "I bagged your stuff" fee or anything. So far so good.

I got a variety of items - frozen foods, dairy, and various sundries. I wanted to truly try it out so I even bought meats. What is the point of giving it a go if you don't truly let go of ALL the reigns, right? Well, this is where they missed the mark a little bit.

I purchased a chuck roast, chicken thigh pieces, and two roaster chickens. The roast isn't bad but it isn't marbled the way I like so I give that part average marks. The thigh pieces are really good but they were from Purdue so they couldn't truly mess that up because Purdue packages things great - even sizing and such. Here is where they really let me down... the roaster chickens. Again, name brand - Tyson - but the sizing was so off it looked like the chicken version of "Twins". I have one Arnold chicken who weighs almost 7 pounds and then I received one Danny chicken who is barely above three pounds. Who looks at that combination and says "Yeppers, that's perfect"?!? What I am going to do with midget chicken? I didn't even bother to freeze it because I figured I might could cook it up, shred it, and make BBQ chicken or something. It is just a sad little thing and I doubt there is much meat on it.

The pick up was a little slower than I anticipated but still pretty good. Said "Twins" chicken bled all over one container so the girl had to go in and get more bags to put stuff in because they hit the bottom of the crate and got chicken ick on them. She lacked personality but honestly, who am I to complain on that part because the entire reason I did this was so that I didn't have to interact with people. I'm sure most just sit in their car and let people toss it in their trunk and leave. I have to pack my SUV a certain way or else it irks me, so I got out to help.

Overall, I will do it again but I will be sure to not purchase meats and just go to my big box warehouse club store for it instead. The pricing truly is better.. and my chickens are all the same size.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...